Monday, September 28, 2009

Soccer anyone?

Culture shock is unavoidable when traveling abroad. The food is different, rules of etiquette will vary, there may be a language barrier – but in my experience there’s one thing that remains the constant regardless of culture or country: sport.
Upon arriving in Fiji, I immediately set out to find a game of pick-up soccer. I soon discovered this wasn’t a difficult task. A few locals told me that I could always find a game at the field behind the courthouse.
So I strapped on my cleats and headed down to the field hoping to have some fun and meet a few new friends. Upon arriving I received a warm welcome from a group of boys, and they invited me to join the game. Everyone asked where I was from, how long I would be staying in Fiji and how I was enjoying the country so far. After a round of introductions, handshakes and exchanging pleasantries we started the game. The second the ball hit the ground all culture differences disappeared. It didn’t matter that I was from a far off country. It was irrelevant that some of the players didn’t even speak English. Nobody cared about the social status, political opinions or race of their teammates – all we cared about was playing soccer.
And that’s exactly what we did
The game continued until well after sunset when could barely see the ball anymore. We laughed when someone slipped in the mud, cheered when a goal was scored or a good play was made – but most of all; we shared our love for the game.
After the match, covered in mud and sweat, we huddled together and said a prayer. At this moment I realized that sport is the universal language of friendship.
Back at home in Canada – where it can get quite cold – we only have a few precious months where playing outdoor sports is possible. Yet, it seems like we Canadians don’t capitalize on this scarce time. Rather, most of my friends would rather sit at home and watch sports on television or the internet instead of actually getting out and playing a game. Yet here in Fiji, where the weather is great all year long, locals don’t squander their surplus of beautiful days. At almost every field I pass there seems to be a group of people kicking around a ball, practicing rugby or doing some other form of outdoor exercise.
Now my weekdays revolve around playing soccer. Everyday at 5 p.m. I put on my shorts and walk down to the field. Even as I write this blog I keep stealing anxious glances at the clock wondering if I will finish my assignment on time and make it to soccer tonight.
The citizens of Suva have been incredibly welcoming and friendly to me, but by far, the boys who I play soccer with are the ones who make me feel truly at home in Fiji.

No comments: