Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hollywood? Give me Papua New Guinea

I’m not one to be star-struck. The only interest I have in movie stars is watching their films and the only interest I have in musicians is listening to their music.
In September I was in Toronto visiting friends, and it happened to be the Toronto International Film Festival. The red carpets were rolled out, security was stepped up and throngs of celebrity seekers were out in full force hoping to catch a glimpse of Hollywood’s hottest.
And while I have no interest in spotting entertainers, I would much rather encounter another type of famous figure: the head of state.
As a young journalist one can only dream about interviewing a President, Prime Minister, Dear Leader – even a petty dictator would suffice.
So on Saturday when my editor asked me to cover the official book launch of a new biography on former Fiji President and PM, Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara, I was excited. I’m extremely interested in foreign politics and I knew this assignment would be a good opportunity to gain insight into Fiji’s political system.
My excitement turned to sheer anticipation when I learned that the guest speaker at the launch would be Ratu Mara’s long-time friend and Papua New Guinea PM, Sir Michael Thomas Somare. Also, the acting President of Fiji and the PM of the Solomon Islands would also be in attendance.
Jackpot!
On Saturday I put on my best dress clothes (this was the first time I’ve worn pants – and possibly shoes – in Fiji). I researched both the author of the book, Dr. Derek Scarr, and the subject, Ratu Mara. I even did something I don’t usually do: I wrote down a list of questions.
I arrived at the event and was seated in the media section. I received the usual icy stares from my fellow journalists. By this point I know the look well. It means, “Why are you (a foreigner) taking away one of our jobs?”
After an opening prayer and a traditional kava ceremony, Sir Michael spoke about the late Ratu Mara as a friend, family man and politician. It was evident that Sir Michael and Ratu Mara were more than just political allies – they were close friends. After the speeches and formalities there was a reception and book signing. While the rest of the guests beeline for the free wine and food, I lock sights on my target: the PM.
I enter my first media scrum (a journalism term for when multiple reporters are jointly interviewing a subject). But this scrum is different – everyone is sitting on the floor and the PM is sitting in a chair. I jostle for a good position in the ground scrum. Wait, does this mean I’m going to have to attempt to cross my legs? I decide to kneel and manage to ask two questions, to which the PM gives long and insightful answers. I shake his hand and thank him for helping me with my story.
I feel great – this is by far the biggest interview of my young career. It easily beats out the previous champion: an interview with four-term Sarnia Mayor Michael Bradley.
And while most people can’t even locate Papua New Guinea on a map and have never heard of Sir Michae, the experience will be forever etched in my memory.
Yes, PNG is an obscure, unknown country with little global importance, but that doesn’t mean its leader isn’t a strong statesman. With a population of 6-million speaking 860 languages, and 80 percent of its inhabitants surviving off agriculture, PNG is unlike any other country in the world. It takes a great politician to bring such a diverse nation together.
Without a doubt I would rather pick Sir Michael’s brain for 10 minutes than interview Miley Cyrus, Shia LaBeouf or Hollywood’s latest flavour of the week.

No comments: