Friday, November 13, 2009

Happiness is a warm bill

Before leaving for Fiji, I went to Robert Q to purchase some Fijian currency. Upon receiving the wad of colourful bills I was surprised to see the familiar, friendly face of old Queen Victoria smiling at me.
Fijian dollars looked unexpectedly like Canadian bills. I guess that makes sense seeing as how Fiji – like Canada – is a former British colony, and both countries are members of the Commonwealth of Nations (correction: Fiji recently got the boot from the Commonwealth).
As I sift through my newly acquired wade of foreign dollars I come across another unforeseen treat: a $2 bill. The sight of this small bill sends a wave of nostalgia through my body. It has been nearly 14 years since my hands have touched a bill in a denomination less than $5.
At the age of 25, I am old enough to remember Canada’s long lost bills: the $1 and $2 bill. As I’m getting older my early memories are starting to blur, but I will never forget the sadness I felt upon learning the $1 bill was being withdrawn from circulation. The year was 1989, and I was 6 years old. Having a dollar was like having the world in your hand.


Here’s a typical break down of how little Dale would spend his dollar:
- Ten one cent candies (10 cents)
- One Styrofoam airplane (50 cents)
- Loan to my broke-ass older brother (25 cents) *still yet to receive payment*
- Deposit to my piggy bank (10 cents)
- Keep a nickel for my pocket (5 cents)

My disappointment was twofold in 1996 when the Canadian government introduced the dreaded Toonie and withdrew the $2 bill from circulation. Now to get my hands on some paper money I would have to have $5 – that’s a lot of money for an 11-year-old!
I don’t know if it’s because having bills makes me feel like I have more money or because my wallet doesn’t have a change pouch, but whatever the reason – I hate coins. I always have, I always will. Yet, I seem alone in this dislike. I’ve recently heard talk about eliminating the $5 bill and replacing it with a coin. Doesn’t this seem like we are moving backwards? Soon the day will come where big purchases are made with a large bag of coins, just as it was done in the olden days. Let us not forget that it was a big bag of silver coins that persuaded Judas Iscariot, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, to give up his master.
In Fiji I love getting a fist full of $2 bills back when I make a purchase. It almost feels like I have more money than I did before I bought an item. My wallet is usually exploding with small bills, and my pockets are jingle-free. When I get out of cars I don’t have to look down at the seat to make sure my change didn’t fall out of my pockets. Now I’m not lying when I tell the endless string of beggars that I don’t have any change on me.
Although my time in Fiji is far from over, I already know I’m going to immensely miss the $2 bill when I return to coin crammed Canada.

No comments: