Monday, December 14, 2009

A taste of the Pacific in London

One of the great parts about travelling is bringing a small piece of a foreign country back home: both figuratively and literally.

Last week I came back to my hometown of London, Ontario, for Christmas and I have never been so happy to be home. On Saturday my parents threw me a welcome home, Fiji theme party. Fijian folk music filled the air, the walls were decorated with wooden masks and swords purchased in Suva, there was a ton of food, and of course, plenty of kava being passed around.

With the exception of my parents, who visited me in Fiji, and my uncle Skip (who has been pretty much everywhere in the world) nobody in attendance had ever stepped foot on the tiny Pacific Island, and little was known about its culture.

All of my aunts, uncles, cousins and friends had lots of questions about the far away land that I now call home, and I was happy to showcase my new found knowledge of the country I once knew nothing of. I talked about food, politics, music, sports, living conditions and especially weather – all of which my family and friends were genuinely interested in.

Then came the part everyone was waiting for: drinking kava.

From reading my blog, everyone at the party heard plenty about the traditional Fijian drink – and its mouth numbing, relaxing effect.

We all gathered at the table while Hart brewed up a large pot of the brownish liquid. Those brave enough to partake in the festivities took a seat, while the fearful watched from a safe distance away.

When the brew was ready, Hart began passing a kava-filled coconut shell around the table in a clockwise direction. Some drinkers took the kava with grace and dignity while others ran for chasers. There were those who smiled after the drink and those who resembled Fear Factor contestants after drinking. Some requested high tides (big portions), while some opted for low tides (small portions). Even my grandma tried a drink.

Feeling loose from the kava, the party moved into the living room to view a slideshow of Hart’s and my adventures in Fiji. Hart put together an incredible 15-minute slideshow featuring some of our best pictures (we took more than a thousand) mixed with music.

People laughed; people were awed by the country’s beauty; and people asked questions.

After the slideshow, the party migrated back into the kitchen for some more kava and food.

Not only did the guests leave that night slightly mellower from the kava, they also left my house a little worldlier.

Fiji’s history and culture isn’t taught in Canadian classrooms – but that doesn’t mean it’s unimportant. The short time I’ve already spent in Fiji has been an incredible learning experience, and now I’m sharing what I’ve learned with my family and friends back home.

Despite being 12,343 km away, Fiji came to London, Ontario on December 12.

No comments: