Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It’s a small island after all

Everywhere I go in Suva, I seem to see people I know or people who know me.
With a population of nearly 172,000, Fiji’s capital isn’t exactly a major metropolis – but nor is it a small town, either. Yet I can’t walk down the block without running into at least one acquaintance.
And I’ve only been here for four months so I don’t even know that many people.
On my third day back in my adopted developing country, I’m walking to the gym when a car pulls up beside me.
“Hey welcome back,” exclaims my former landlord, Son Singh.
After asking me how I like my new flat, he invites me for tea and then speeds off.
When I get to the gym I see my friend Knox lifting weights. He too welcomes me back, and we make plans to workout together.
After the gym I walk over to the video store where I see my real estate agent Basil and his wife Ohannah.
“Welcome back,” they both say simultaneously.
They too ask how I like my new place.
While strolling home I approach a man waiting at the bus stop. He’s a large, intimidating-looking male wearing a tank top, and the majority of his muscular arms are covered in tattoos. I keep my eyes down and quicken my pace.
“Hey, my friend!” he exclaims.
“Oh, hey,” I say, trying to figure out how I know the man.
“When did you get back?” he asks.
“Umm…a few days ago,” I reply.
As I walk away I cannot figure out how I know this hulk, but am grateful I’m somehow in his good books.
Later in the evening I go the mall to buy a phone card.
“Dale, do you remember me,” a girl asks.
Try as I might, I can’t.
“You bought a bracelet off me for your girlfriend,” she says. “Did she like it?”
Now I remember.
“Yes, she loved it.” I say.
After leaving the mall I stop off in the grocery store and have yet another encounter – this time with a fellow foreigner.
A red-haired girl standing in front of me at the checkout turns and takes a long look at my face.
“How do I know you?” she asks.
“I met you surfing in Singatoka,” I respond.
She remembers and invites me to play extreme Frisbee at the park next Monday.
I politely accept the offer but know full well that I’ll never go near the park on a Monday.
Although a proud sportsman, throwing a Frisbee is my athletic Achilles heel; I’ve never been able to do it.
Leaving the supermarket I hear my name shouted. I look across the street and see Eli, a friend I met playing soccer.
After each of these encounters I walk away smiling. Sometimes it’s hard living in a foreign country, but the people of Fiji have been beyond welcoming to this Canadian.

No comments: